Monday, August 29, 2005

Love, and other Surreal things, again

So I've heard from a few reputable, upstanding folks who still get their groove on that Love was a hit, both Friday and Sat'day nights. Go head. Who'da thunk? You know I had my doubts. Serious doubts. But these were folks with manners, and they had a good time, but, they cautioned me I needed to get to Okie street before it had a relapse.

You know my family has been in DC for three generations? Yep. Beginning with grandparents who migrated from Louisiana, Pennsylvania and Virginia, settling here when Capitol Hill looked something like the French Quarter. On my dad's Robinson side, Pop was a musician, Mimi I think stayed home with the ten children. On mom's side, Grandpa Jimmy worked the railroads and the post office, and grandma worked in the school system. Five kids outta those two.

Why the climb up the geneology tree? Yesterday was the annual Robinson Hook-Up, our version of a family reunion. Now, they don't make families like this any more. Catholic Mimi and Pop had ten, and before they blinked, they had ten grandchildren, and by the time they passed, they easily had twenty. My dad is responsible for ten with Aunt G. claiming eight. Most have spread out to Maryland (for space and sanity), so we had a great turn-out. Big props to cousin R. working the grill, bro S.P. keeping the garbage full with all his trash talking (that's my boy right there! Always got my back!)...

and to cousin B. for capping the evening with a sand-flinging romp around the beach. Ohmygoodness how fun was that. Despite promises to mommy-cousins that they wouldn't dirty up their reunion outfit, every body under four feet stripped to their underwear and rushed the Bay, sand and seaweed just a-flying, modesty floating out with the waves.

One big exception: littlest cousin Rahim who sat on my LAP on the beach, leaned over my legs to touch the sand, then cried "Rana, iss ucky!"Declaring everyone else insane, Rah demanded to be carried the entire time we were on the sand until he was good 'n ready to walk ten feet to his father. The moment Rah reached his hip, he started his "ucky" scream, turning red in the face. Who knew you could be metro so young? That his feet are too precious for sand has been permanently inscribed in family lore.

What's up with your family reunion...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home