Wednesday, September 07, 2005

International Bibliophile

Yesterday I made a point to visit a few bookstores, where I spend too much time and money. From Montreal:

On Rue Cote de Nieges at the Livres et Musique, a Dutch photographer snaps my picture reading "Eroticas Universals," erotic drawings through the ages (did you know drawings of threesomes are part of the esteemed Renoir and George Groscz collections? I did not). The photographer is snapping photos for an exibition of people reading in various places, like bookstores, coffee shops, parks, etc. I sign a waiver that French-reading and speaking Antonia reads and approves (though she acknowledged a patriotic yet friendly disdain for her Dutch neighbor).

The exhibit will be in Montreal, and if included, the world will know I was looking at drawings folks from ancient Greece to modern New York City doing the nasty in ways that would impress and educate R. Kelly, Tommy Lee, and the authors of the Kama Sutra.

Today, on Sherbrooke, I pop into a used bookstore, Academic and General Book Shop, where the owner is trying get a reluctant patron to buy a couple of books. While i'm browsing around, I hear the patron begging off, "no, no, I'll come back later, I can't buy it now." Owner says adamantly, "you should really take it now, i'm going to sell it." They go through this several times with the patron getting out with barely her life. Owner turns to me, smiles and hands me bookmark with all vital information.

We have this conversation:
Nosy American Rhonda: "Is this your shop?"

Suddenly shocked Canadien: "Yes."

NAR: "Oh, how long have you been here."

SSC: "A while. Thank you, bye-bye" (mind you, I haven't bought anything and she's letting me get away.)

NAR: "It's always been here on Sherbrooke?"

SSC: "Why do you ask me these questions? I don't know why you want to know? Why are you asking these personal questions. It is not polite." (Except she used some fancy French word I didn't understand.)

NAR: "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm from the United States It's customary there to talk with owners about their businesses."(Eye daggers start flying toward rude American).

SSC: "Well, not here, it's like asking, 'Are you Canadien?'" (she is very flustered at this point, readjusts her big black glasses over her mousey, wrinkled yet distinguished face.)

Suddenly Surprised AR: "I didn't know."

SSC: "Well, now you know. Bye-bye."

And out I went.

1 Comments:

Blogger Champurrado said...

Ms. Henderson:

Sounds like a nasty interaction. Don't let it spoil your view of all french canadians. Their accordion skills are unsurpassed.

September 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home