Thursday, December 07, 2006

"It's the past tense, baby!"

So said my student, Nithi (not her real name), to me yesterday as I struggled to read a passage from her homework. Of course, I said, and cracked up. Nithi's English, generously flavored with Hindi-accented American slang, is quite good. Consequently she serves as class translator for both Hindi language and culture.

Nithi is one my portals into Indian youth culture as I piece together the diversity of perspectives and opinions. Her outlook is a mix of traditional and modern, rather than a firm commitment to either one. For example, she's completely enraptured by American celebrity (particularly Leonardo DiCaprio) and fashion, asks lots of questions about life in the United States, and has more than than a mere fancy with western culture. With her near-fluency in English, she's interviewed for jobs at call centres and other industries that appreciate this skill.

At the same time, she looks forward to "having many sarees!" when she marries, a marriage that most likely will be arranged by her parents. Does she believe in love marriage? Again her opinion doesn't fit into a neat box. She's got a huge crush on a guy, but won't dare talk to him because she anticipates her parents' reproach.

So when she tells me, laughingly and with tremendous conviction, "It's the past tense, baby!" I wonder what else she might be referring to...marriage, career, traditional gender roles, divisions between East and West...??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home